Thursday, January 29, 2015

Cauliflower

To follow the holiday craze of eating awesome food, feeling guilty about it and slowly restarting Keto, I made a couple recipes and prepared some posts that I never ended up putting up because I am lazy and should be punished for it.

Speaking of craze, my Pinterest exploded with this grilled cheese cauliflower thingy and I simply had to make it and tell you about it. Because I can never make anything simple, I made a couple different versions and both were amazingly delicious and you should try making your own. Grilled cheeses are as personal and unique as there are snowflakes, I like mine with garlic salt on the bread, my husband likes his with tomatoes (weirdo) and so on and forth.

The dough for the 'bread' is super simple, it's been described in various keto blog and website, it's perfect to make cheesy bread sticks, pizza and now grilled cheese (and so much more). Now some folks don't like the taste of cauliflower, I respect that, it HAS an aftertaste. Cheese and garlic goes a long way to hide that flavor, low-sugar ketchup or Sriracha might help if you're into that (I know I am!!)

Julie's Own Cauliflower Grilled Cheese
Swiss and Pastrami Edition

Oven at 450F
Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.

Basic Cauliflower Crust - makes 1 small pizza or 4 slices of 'bread'
1 small head of cauliflower cut in florets (or 3 cups of 'rice')
1/2 cup of grated mozzarella
1 egg, beaten
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper


  • Rice your cauliflower in a food processor.
  • Transfer your rice to a microwavable bowl and nuke on high for 8 minutes.
  • To squeeze the water from the cauliflower properly, upturn the rice into a clean tea towel and squeeze tightly above the sink. Another way to go about it is using a bunch of paper towels and pressing hard. (If you skip this step, your bread will be all kind of mushy and gross)
  • Mix in the cheese, egg and spices.
  • Form your 4 slices of bread on the parchment paper, using the back of a spoon to make them nice and even.
  • Bake for 16 minutes until golden. Cool for 10 minutes before peeling from the cookie sheet.




Heat up a pan, butter your slices of bread and make your grilled cheese. (I don't need to tell you how, right? RIGHT!?) It's that simple.

The taste? Good, actually, very good. I used swiss cheese and fried pastrami in the middle, husband used pulled pork and swiss in his. I had smoked gouda and cheddar if we were up for it. You could do a whole bacon n tomato, cheddar version. Whatever float your sammich.

The sammich? Actually worked out and held up REALLY well. I was surprised. The secret in the bread is to squeeze out as much water as possible. I'll be using this to make pizza very soon. I'll let you know how it goes!

For more pictures on the making of this sammich, clicky!

Yours truly.
Hungry Julie

5 comments:

  1. Dear Julie,
    Thank you for sharing all these amazing and truly delicious recipes! We’d be happy to build a partnership with such a dedicated food blogger and get you promoted at our official FB with over 22K followers. Please visit our website to learn more about the opportunities you may get with us: http://talktochef.com/howitworks/affiliates. Feel free to contact me at kamila@talktochef.com for any additional information.
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Such a amazing recipe! I will try. Thank you so much for share.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy recipe! It look like awesome....!! Thank you so much and keep sharing with us. Kind visit usYahoo mail helpline

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just discovered your site while searching for low-carb recipes & have bookmarked several - thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all your recipes because they are simple and yet so delicious. This is a great recipe because it's gluten free, low carb and requires no flour. It will up the veggie intake during the day too . Thank you

    ReplyDelete